Productivity looms like a beacon for many people. It simply means being effective in producing something; the ratio of time invested versus what was produced; getting as much accomplished as possible in the best possible amount of time. But that beacon can lead to falling for some productivity myths that don’t result in the desired efficiency.
Why Is Productivity Important for Businesses?
Improving productivity saves time and produces more. While that can enhance quality, it can also free-up time for employee development or to allow focus on other strategic areas.
Productive operations can enhance employee morale and can also enhance customer relations.
What Factors Affect Productivity?
There are human factors including employee health, employee attitudes and employee education and training. Operational factors can include the right tools and an efficient office or production layout. System factors can include supply chain planning, leadership structure, and an effective workflow.
Don’t Fall for These Productivity Myths
Falling for productivity myths can actually be counter-productive. Consider these myths:
- Myth 1: Simply copy the habits of successful people. What works for others may not work for you. So relax, you don’t have to wake up at 4 am like someone else does in order to be productive. That may be horribly non-productive for you.
- Myth 2: Maximize every possible moment of your day. That sounds like running on an endless treadmill. Constant effort can misuse the best parts of a day or diminish creativity.
- Myth 3: Only set big goals. It makes sense to build momentum with more easily achieved tasks.
- Myth 4: Use rewards. Indeed, better productivity comes through intrinsic motivation.
- Myth 5. Visualize achieving your goal. Looking forward is important but it is also important to be realistic.
- Myth 6: Stay busy. Being overscheduled can work against productivity.
- Myth 7: You need to have the newest and hottest tools to be productive. Nope. It’s not a matter of tools.
Seek Expert Funding Assistance
Contact POM Capital & Finding Services to help achieve your business goals. Experienced professionals with great solutions tailored to your startup financial needs.